Review: Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit
For our first review we’ve decided to review Amazon’s best seller home brewing kit – Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit
The kit includes almost everything a novice home brewer should have when starting to drew beer. The only thing missing is sterilizing equipment, but it’s not that big a deal, because basic baking soda will do the work.
In order for you to know more about this kit we will discuss all the items which come inside the box:
- Coopers All Malt Refills – purpose of it this item is to give your beer that taste that you already know and love from Coopers. This way you know that even if you are not such a great brewer, your beer will taste great and will make you proud of it.
- Coopers DIY Brew Enhancer 1 Home Brewing Additive which contains dextrose and maltodextrin. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours while the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention.. It is a mix of fermentable and unfermentable sugars. It will help your beer have a creamier head and give it a better consistency for the pleasure of your mouth. Recommended for use with lighter style beers such as Lager, Draught and Pilsner.
- Coopers Patented Fermenter – probably the most important part of the kit because it will make your task much easier. Its lid helps keep everything outside and away from your beer but it will let all the CO2 gas escape. And the fermenter will also help keep the foam in during the fermentation.
- Coopers 740 ml PET Bottles – these bottles are are plastic, so they will not break and you can use them multiple times. They are made from FDA compliant food grade plastic, so you don’t have to worry about any chemicals or flavor mixing with your beer.
- Coopers DIY Home Brewing Carbonation Drops – these carbonation drops will make bottling your beer much easier. You just need two drops per bottle. They were made to carbonate your beer without changing the flavor. These drops will make bottling much faster.
- Coopers Beer Hydrometer – tool to estimate original and final gravity, this item helps you decide when the beer is done. It is of a lot of help so you don’t do it wrong and make your beer like a wise brewer would.
- Coopers Bottling Wand – another helpful tool if you in order to bottle your beer quickly. You only need to attach the wand to the spigot and you will see how you will have all your beer bottled in no time.
- Coopers Mixing Spoon – specifically designed long handle spoon to mix up your batch of beer.
On the kit you will also find the Coopers DVD where you will learn how to make your beer. Which is way better than an instruction pamphlet. Also a Coopers Brew Log with an erasable marker, Krausen Kollar Clips for the fermenter and a thermometer.
Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit is very popular among Amazon buyers. Out of the five stars available at Amazon, the kit has 4.6, which is really great score. To be even more exact, 77% of all the customers rated the kit to be worth the five stars.
The kit also has some minor drawbacks. The top lid is sometimes hard to get off. The bottle filler drips, you have to make sure you put a plate on the floor to fix this, either way you definitely will be so happy to have this because things go much faster with it
Another disadvantage of the kit is that the tap valve is a bit tight. It’s sometimes a good thing because the tap cannot be bumped when brewing and accidentally open. You have to make sure that you screw the tap tighter and you will have no problem opening it properly later.
Lastly, because of the size of the fermenter, maybe it’s not even a drawback because you can brew more beer, but either way, the fermenter is quite hard to sterilize/wash. Have in mind that, having a hose will make the cleaning job a lot easier.
Now, if we talk about the price of the kit, you can get it for $ 120.95 at Amazon.com or you can get it from $90 for used one. Remember that with the kit you can make six gallons of beer and for around $120 it really is a good price.
Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit has a great value for all that is included. Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit should be something that you give a chance to. It is a great kit for someone who wants to try home brewing but is afraid of the complex processes which are involved in brewing. Viewing from the economical perspective, you can prepare over 50 standard sized beer bottles for a bit more than 120 bucks plus it’s homemade. You should definitely give Coopers DIY Home Brewing 6 Gallon Craft Beer Making Kit a try.