Recipe: Homemade rice wine
Now, during winter time, when there are no fresh berries or fruits, it’s perfect time to try rice wine. Rice wine is white, dry table wine. It’s easy to make and it’s incredibly cheap. Rice wine is perfect with poultry, lamp or beef dishes.
For 5 liters (1.3 gallons) of wine you will need
900 grams of small yellow raisins
900 grams. rice
900 grams of sugar
1 medium orange
1 medium lemon
1 sachet of yeast
Optional – you can add vermouth herbs such as cloves, cinnamon, star anise ginger or coriander
- Pour the sugar into pot and boil it gently with 0.5 liters of warm water then leave it to cool down.
- Wash the raisins with warm water and pour it to the fermenter along with the rice and 3 liters of cold water
- Squeeze orange and lemon juice and pour it to the fermenter. Try to remove all the seeds from the fruit.
- Pour the sugar into the fermenter
- Pour the yeast into the fermenter (the yeast should be prepared as said on the packet)
- Let the wine ferment for about 14 days, stir it twice a day.
- After 14 days filter the wine and pour it into clean fermenter, you can add cold water to fulfill it.
- After about 3-4 weeks, the wine should be ready, you can taste it. Leave it for 2 weeks to clear then you should filter it again.
- Bottle the wine.
You can drink your wine instantly, but after 6 months your wine will get richer taste and better aroma.